Update from last week's appt on Wednesday, January 9th.
Stevie's heart rate was in the 130s/140s. Fundal height is on track.
My exam: 2-3cm dilated, 50% effaced (that's how thinned out the cervix is), and her head is very low. Given the exam, Dr.Kleiss suggested that I be induced this week, either on Wednesday (16th) or Friday (the 18th). Typically with first time moms, it's not ideal to be induced since it puts you at higher risk for having a c-section. She said that I would not be at higher risk given how much I've already progressed. Increased likelihood for a c-section was my #1 reason for not wanting to be induced initially- but I trust her when she says that I'm "very induceable."
One other advantage is that she would be able to do the delivery, which would be nice since she's my primary MD. I like all of the physicians at Piedmont Ob-Gyn, so if I do go into a labor on a day that she's not on call, I wouldn't mind. However, there is a new physician that is starting at their practice the week of the 21st, so I'd rather her not be the delivery physician since I've never met her.
Her other reason for being induced is that Stevie is only getting bigger. This was the biggest selling point for me. It's not great for babies to get too big- for mama's sake, and for baby's sake- when it comes to time for delivery. I think it's a combo of being a labor and delivery nurse in the past (I've seen too much), and the fact that people in my family tend to have bigger babies. Sylvie was over 9lbs. And I know my grandmother had 10lb babies. My guess is that Stevie will be in the 8lb range- I could be totally wrong- that's just my guess, which I have nothing to base on. Physicians are no better than moms at guessing weight of babies, so I've been told. But I don't see her being a little baby given my big belly and the fact that I almost failed my 3hr GTT, which would have made me a gestational diabetic. I was 8lb5oz when I was born and Steve was 7lb ?oz... we forget exactly.
The last reason for induction is convenience. You can get a good night's rest the night before, and you don't have to worry about getting up in the middle of the night (I assume for our sake and the physician's sake). I don't really care about this reasoning- at least on our end.
Although babies should be fully ready by 39weeks gestation, I'm not 100% sold on being induced- it has it's pros and cons. Steve and I have talked it over and think it makes sense to keep the appt for induction on the 18th at 9am for now. I'm hoping that she comes before the 18th though. At my appt on the 9th, she didn't think I'd make it another week given how much I've already progressed. I agreed with her given that I was having a good amount of cramping last week. After my appt on the 9th, I was having cramping every 8-10 minutes. I had cramping for most of the week while Steve was on the West coast. It made me a little nervous. One of the physicians I work with was even trying to get me to drink a beer to stall my labor (which I never I did). Apparently, they used to give beer/wine to moms who were in pre-term labor since it helps relax the uterus. Needless to say, I'm thrilled that Steve is back here in Atlanta with me! Yah!
I've had fewer contractions since he's been home. I even went into work today and plan on going in tomorrow as well. Helps pass the time and every little bit of money will be helpful once she's here. Tomorrow will be my last day though. I have another doctor's appt on Wednesday, the 16th. I think Dr.Kleiss will strip my membranes to help speed things along- and I'm all for that- now that Steve is in town (although he will be interviewing in Birmingham on Wednesday). My physician wanted to strip my membranes last week but that was a no-go since Steve was out of town.
The plan was for my parents to come to town when I went into labor. I was really looking forward to this because I really want them to meet her! I know they would help us out as well. Unfortunately, there has been a last minute change in plans since Wyatt (my nephew) has RSV, which is extremely contagious. Since they've been around all the other boys, they don't want to bring it here and risk passing it along to Stevie. I'm glad they are able to stay home and help out with the other boys. Wyatt went to the hospital today so please say lots of prayers that he makes a quick recovery.
I know I'll get in trouble with my mom, Marilyn, and Sylvie if I
don't post a photo :-) So here's a not so great, quick photo that Steve
just took for me. 39w3d.
Books for 2012
14 years ago

Yay for the photo!
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry Meghan...you know I'm thinking of you.
DeleteSee ya next week probably! You will be fully recovered and used to having a baby in the house. You can fix us a FANCY dinner!!!!
ReplyDeleteNeed photos of. 1. Meghan walking out door to go to hospital. 2. hospital. 3. labor and delivery room. 4 Meghan sitting in bed before delivery. 5. baby minutes old 6.many pictures of baby first 24 hours. 7. Mommy and baby. 8. Mommy and daddy and baby. 9. Daddy and baby.
ReplyDeleteI love your mom's comments! Congratulations Meghan and Steve!!
ReplyDelete