1.14.2014

Emma's turning ONE!

Since I didn't do a full post of Emma's first Christmas, make sure to check out Picasa to see all the fun photos! Emma had an amazing first Christmas! We were so thankful that we were able to share it with all our family here in Memphis and Auntie Kathy too. Such a treat!!

Oh my, how did my sweet baby girl get to be so old! It's hard to believe that she's turning one on Thursday! Her birthday falls in a busy birthday season, with Pops' birthday on the 13th and Suds' birthday on the 21st. We'll be celebrating this Saturday at Suds and Pops' house. I'll be sure to post photos!

We have other big Emma news! She's walking! She officially started walking 8 days before her 1st birthday! She started taking one, sometimes two steps since a few days before Christmas, but now she's walking around the apartment. She still crawls some but seems to prefer walking.

She hasn't said her first word quite yet. She sometimes will copy what we say. She understands a lot of what we say as well. If you say "bib," she looks to the wall where all her bibs are hanging. If you tell her to sit, she usually will. She is also entering the terrible twos- is that even possible? I know she understands us when we tell her not to stand on the furniture. She grins and you can tell she knows she's misbehaving but she finds it funny. We've started doing time-outs for one minute. We hold her for one minute and she acts like it's complete torture. It's hard not to smile when she's doing this. She's so dramatic. I hope this isn't a glimpse into our future :-) She's just very independent.

She isn't a drama queen all of the time. She is excessively sweet and cute most of the time. She gives lots of kisses and likes to cuddle when she's going to sleep. I still don't have it in me to do cry it out. Most nights she falls asleep with me in the room. I then move her to her crib so I can get stuff done for a couple of hours. Then she usually wakes up and will cry until we get her out of her crib. So I usually just go to sleep with her. She loves sleeping in the bed with me and I know she'll only be little once. I really like it so I don't fight her on this issue. Not yet anyways.

She still puts everything into her mouth. Or if not that, she licks things. I try to keep her paci in her mouth when she does this.

She's a really good eater overall. Although she won't always eat what we make her, there aren't many things she won't eat. I guess it depends on how hungry she is. I have a harder time with green veggies but usually she'll eat them, even if it's only a few bites. I try to keep reintroducing foods so she can get used to different flavors. She ate pot roast with cooked carrots and potoatoes a couple of weeks ago. Recently, she's been eating cottage cheese. Really, she'll eat any type of cheese. She loves cheese. Her new favorite food seems to be blackberries. She pretty much has to go into the bath after eating blackberries :-)


She typically drinks out of her bottle or out of her one sippy cup. We need to work on cups. We also need to work on her using a spoon. Usually I don't let her have the spoon to try to feed herself. Mealtime is messy enough as it is. It's tricky since we're in an apartment with carpeted floors. I need to let her try more.
She still prefers her bottle of anything. She's still a squirmy bottle drinker.

Emma had her one year check up today. She had her finger pricked and then got 3 shots. I think that's the worst yet! She didn't mind the lady pricking her finger. She was more curious about what the lady was doing. The shots were not fun. She was hysterical for a couple of minutes but as soon as the nurse left the room, she started to calm down some. Good news is that she only has to get shots at her 15month and 18month check-ups, then not again until she's 5years old!

Her stats:
32inches (off the charts!)
24lb 15oz (96th percentile)
head circumference 18.5inches (Dr.Davis said that she's staying on track with her head circumference as well- so about 90th percentile or so? I don't remember exactly what percentile she was at before.)

Most of you guys have seen all the tutu photos, but I figured I had to document on the blog since they're SO awesome! :-)





Emma LOVES this lion. She wrestles with him pretty much every night.

Emma kept sticking out her tongue one day. Silly!

Crazy hair!

The high was about 13 degrees, so the fleece footie pajamas came out!


Trying out all the chairs at Marilyn and Daniel's house.


Sylvie's 5th birthday!

Maybe Emma is taking after her Uncle Peter and will have his height!

Birthday girl!











No comments:

Post a Comment