There are so many ups and downs with parenting, but overall I feel an overwhelming sense of happiness and joy that is hard to explain. I could not love this little girl any more than I do. Emma has been such a sweet cutie pie! And when she's having her moments, I just focus on the fact that she's teething. It must really hurt. I think it makes it easier if you know why she's crying. Steve stuck his hand in her mouth recently and felt her back left molars. Earlier this week she kept going from completely happy to teary. We thought her other molars are coming in. I was finally able to see them- and from what I can tell, she has two molars on the left and one on the right. Poor lady. And to top it off, she's been sick with diarrhea since this past weekend and then she had a fever of 102.3. I feel so badly for her. She's on the mend now and seems to be doing much better though.
This is how Emma slept for two hours on the living room floor when she had a fever.
She
stayed extra close to me since she didn't feel well. We tried using the
carrier with her on my back so I could get some stuff done around the
apartment. It lasted for a little while. The next time I put her in the
carrier like this, she kept pulling my hair. So it didn't last long.
Emma is babbling up a storm. I'm not sure if she's said her first word. I thought it would be more obvious. Just before her first birthday, I really think she said "bib" two days in a row without me prompting her. If you ask her where her bibs are, she'll look right at them. So she's known for a while where her bibs are. She did it again this past week without me saying it first. I still can't get her to say it on command, although she will copy a lot of words that we say. Because her speech isn't that clear, I'm still not certain if bib is her first word. The past couple of days, she's walking around everywhere saying "ack" I assume it's babbling but am starting to wonder if she's saying a word that we just don't understand.
I've started to work on some sign language with her. I"m not sure if she'll start to sign to us or not, especially considering we started it kind of late in the game. She's been signing all done to us for a while. I'm not sure if she learned that in MDO. I assume so but always forget to ask. We've also been working on more, eat, milk, and water.
We had the radio on in the car and Whitney Houston came on. She put her arms in the air and was waving of them. Then started clapping. When we got into our apartment, we added a Whitney Houston pandora station on our TV and played it for her. It was super cute because she started to dance when it came on.
In the past week, I really have notice a change in her. She seems to understand a lot more of what we say. Today I saw her stomp her feet, so I quoted from one of her books, "Stomp your feet. Clap your hand. Everybody ready for a barnyard dance." She went searching for this book and then brought it to me. Another book that we have has pictures of animals in it. I do animal noises and hand motions along with some of the pictures. She always watches me closely when I make a fish face, and she tries to copy it the face. It's excessive cute. And then before I get to the last page with the snake on it, she will do the snake hand motions before we even get to the page. So she definitely remembers what's coming next.
This week Emma has started stacking two blocks and playing with toys that need hand-eye coordination. In the past, she preferred to knock down blocks and chew on any toys instead of actually playing with them. It's really fun to see her develop.
She
also held a pen and drew for the first time. Half the time, she still
wants to chew on the pen. But it was fun to see her doodle on the paper
too!
Whole Foods shopping cart. She hasn't had a ride around the store in it yet.
Emma's wheely lady bug
We've
mostly stopped giving her bottles. She is mostly drinking out of her
Lollacup, which has a straw. She found a bottle in the refrigerator!
Getting ready for bed with some favorite stuffed animals and blankets!
Emma
watching Sesame Street. She might be watching the segment with Abby's
Flying Fairy School. Looks like Emma's trying to fly too!
Yes, that's chocolate drool :-)
Getting into trouble is what I do best!
And chewing/licking everything is another favorite hobby of mine :-)
We
ate at Mellow Mushroom this past weekend. Emma loved their pretzels
made from pizza dough. She ate at least one full pretzel if not more.
She loves marinara sauce as well. This seems to be a new favorite of
hers!
Emma was initially frustrated because she kept knocking down the blue block when she put the yellow block on top of the big block. She finally figured it out. Go Emma!
Emma being cute :-)














Ugh. Sleep training. Daniel and I are sissies and we avoid it. Couldn't handle that! Glad she's coming around. What are you doing for nighttime? You should have a consistent sleepy time routine. We had the same one for naps and bedtime with Sylvie. Worked well enough. And how could you have known about the teeth? One time I took Sylvie to the Dr. for her 18 month old checkup. She had not been sleeping well for weeks, but I didn't mention it. No other issues. Double ear infection! I felt like an idiot. We aren't God. We do not know all. We just do the best we can with what we know. You are doing great.
ReplyDeleteAgreed, you are a wonderful mamma! Emma is thriving! Great post. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete