What a great weekend! I excessively love seeing my family. Steve and I made a whirlwind trip back to Memphis, which means we arrive after midnight Friday night, enjoy the day Saturday, and spend Sunday packing up and leave after brunch. Despite how short they are, I love these weekend trips. I guess I can’t leave out the fact that Steve does all the driving. He drives us around town in Atlanta and he also does all the long-distance driving. Now if we’re in my car, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE driving for the love of driving on curvy roads. But highway driving, Steve can do it. I tend to nap. Yes, my maiden name is Matthews. There’s no way to avoid naps, it’s just not genetically possible. I have also had some great books to read recently. On the way to Memphis, I read a good chunk of The Bountiful Container, which Kathy gave me for my birthday. It’s a book dedicated to gardening in containers. In other words it’s geared towards us apartment dwellers. It focuses on all things edible: herbs, veggies, fruits, and even edible flowers. Fun! I learned a lot of fun facts. I think I have a challenge ahead of me since our apartment faces northward and we have tall trees blocking the little sun that we get. However, last year the gardening turned out pretty well. I hope to take more photos once I spend a little more time out there.
In Memphis, we started Saturday off with a picnic at Cameron Brown with some of my family, including my niece and nephews. They are all such dolls, even when they’re running through mud. I had such an amazing time. I wish I could do that every weekend. I must shout out a special thanks to Laura bringing my all time favorite cookies, which I’ve posted about before. Marilyn has also posted a photo of these yummy delicacies!
Gianna's Cookies
I love how excited he was about swinging! I mean, don't get me wrong, I love swinging. It's just more fun with a little kid around!
A weird mutant duck. Pretty cool really. It looks like it could eat Pierce for lunch! Instead, it's munchin' on some goldfish crackers :-)
The purpose of our trip was a wedding reception in Batesville, Mississippi… yes, even more driving. It was great seeing my friend Erica, who was the other RN I worked with at Fertility Associates of Memphis. Congrats Erica!
After sleeping in Sunday and eating lunch with my parents and the Johnson family, we decided to take a little adventure and drove back to Atlanta through Nashville. It’s slightly further mileage wise, but the timing ended up being fairly equivalent. The drive is so much more beautiful and enjoyable. And we even got to stop for a delicious dinner at Boscos!!!! It looks like we might have a new route back to Memphis.
On the ride back I read the Pioneer Woman Cooks, which is a fun cookbook that I received from Marilyn for my birthday. It’s really great. I highly recommend it. It’s not fancy, it’s not the healthiest, but boy do the recipes sound great! I read every last one. I think that’s why we had to stop for dinner at Boscos… I got very hungry reading this book. The title explains the story behind the cookbook. A city girl marries a chinks wearing cowboy. Yes, chinks. I learned that is the shortened version of chaps, which cowboys wear over their pants J The author is also a photographer. And I do love photography quite a lot. That’s the gist of this cookbook that I’m really looking forward to using. I think the chicken pot pie might be first on my list, unless steve insists on the lasagna first :-) The Pioneer Woman
Sour patch kids = deliciousness!




It was a fun weekend. ALways happy to see you both! Why on earth did I have my hair braided? Why on earth did I not wear black? Sheesh. Henry is cute, though. And happy you like the cookbook. Me too!
ReplyDelete