8.12.2012

17 week update

Pregnancy appointment #3 was on Aug 8th at 16w5d.
The main purpose of the visit was to check Baby H's heart rate and to do the AFP blood test.  Baby H's heart rate was in the 140s, which is in the normal range.  The AFP (alpha-fetoprotein) blood test gives information about the likelihood of neural tube defects. It was a simple test in that I just had to give blood.  The results came back on Friday and all is looking good.  So thankful that she continues to pass these tests and pray that she continues to check out well.

My next appointment is Sept 4th. I'll be going back to Atlanta Perinatal Consultants for a detailed anatomy scan, then I'll meet with my Ob-Gyn afterwards. I'm very excited about getting another ultrasound with their good ultrasound machines!  I think this will be my last official ultrasound until we meet her in January!  Piedmont Ob-Gyn also offers 3D/4D scans for $175 just for the purpose of getting photos of her.  I think we'll likely not do this ultrasound since I think we could really use the money to put towards other things, such as medical bills.  When Steve and I got an estimate of how much we will owe just the OB-Gyn, we were a little surprised (at least I really was). We're a little unlucky in that my due date is January 18th- so we'll have to meet my deductible twice since all OB-Gyn fees are due now (2012 calendar year) but all the hospital/anesthesia/nursery fees will be in the new year after I deliver.  We're missing our baby tax break this year as well.  Bummer!  Who knew having a baby could be so expensive?!  I guess this is just the beginning of it all- I'm trying to bury my head in the sand for now regarding the costs of premiums for covering her once she's here, especially when I'm not working. Thank goodness we can put her on Steve's plan since my plan is so expensive it's just not financially feasible. Luckily, I have short term disability that will pay 60% of my salary for 6 weeks after delivery.  I think it may be time to move to Canada for better health coverage!  In the grand scheme of things, we can't complain. We just want a healthy baby and it will all be worth it once she's here!

I"ll try to post a belly shot soon so you can see how she's growing- or shall I say how I"m growing :-)
I've gained about 9lbs so far. I'm right on track since the recommended weight gain is 25-35lbs.  I've already worn a pair of pregnancy jeans since I"m officially out of my old bluejeans.  However, I mainly wear dresses and skirts, which are the most loose fitting around my belly, and therefore the most comfortable.

I've been excessively tired and more nauseated in the 2nd trimester. I went to sleep at 7pm one night this week and still wanted to sleep past 7am when my final alarm went off.  Half the days I'm at work, I think about how much I could use a nap.  I"m still feeling better than I did in the first trimester though. It helps that I don't have the flu or any other colds like I did for pretty much the entire first trimester.  I still have more than half of my vacation days unused- so I'm looking forward to having some days off in the next 4 months.  Steve has a week of school later in August. Only one week to go!  He'll have to work on his residency application on his time off, but I know he's enjoying a little down time as well.  We're meeting my parents in Florida for a long weekend at the beach. I. Can't. Wait.


1 comment: