3.27.2013

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes!

The only constant in our life is change.

I'm sure everybody knows by now that Steve matched for radiology at Duke! I'm excited to be moving back to North Carolina next year. He has to do a general medicine year before he starts radiology. He matched at UT-Memphis for the medicine year. I'm super stoked to be moving back to Memphis... in 2 months!! Crazy! Match Day was such an exciting morning. Although both schools were high on his rank list, I was still stunned when he opened the letter that showed which schools he matched at. It's so much to take in even though I've thought about all the possibilities for such a long time! It's just a crazy process in general. I'm starting to get a bit anxious about moving with a baby, finding a place to live, finding a new job (and possibly daycare) for such a short period of time. It will be great to spend time with family while we're back in Memphis for the year.

Emma had her 2month checkup last week. Although I love Dr.Meeks, Emma's pediatrician, I'm starting to dread going for Emma's check-ups.
Partially because she always changes so much after her appts. It has nothing to do with her going to the doctor, so I know it's irrational. I think her changes are related to her growing up and being more aware of her surroundings. After her 1 month appt, she wanted to be held all the time. She wasn't that way as a newborn, probably because she slept a lot. I don't mind holding her most of the day, but it does get tricky to eat, shower, etc. Fast forward to her 2 month appt. It was dreadful. She had her immunizations (two shots and one oral, totaling seven different illnesses that they're trying to prevent). At her 1 month appt, she had one vaccination, which was for Hepatitis B. She was upset when they gave her the shot, but she calmed down pretty quickly. This was not the case last week. She was so unbelievably red from crying. I've never heard her cry like that. It was so high pitched and so loud. You could really tell she was in pain, which I had never seen before. It took at least 10 minutes to calm her down. Definitely made me teary eyed. Not so sure I'll be the one taking her for her 4 month check up when she's due for the same 7 immunizations. After her appointment, we think she had a low grade fever and was  fussy in the evening. Thank the good Lord for Tylenol. Ever since her 2 month appt, she has developed what I would consider to be colic. She is inconsolable. She cries like she did when she got the vaccinations. I think we're very lucky that it only lasts for a short period of time. Usually 15-30 minutes, usually around 6-7pm. She's fussy for longer than that, but fussiness is tolerable. Colic is not. It makes me sad that she appears to be in so much pain. Ugh.

We've also started having difficulty with her eating. She has been flailing around for a few weeks now both when she eats and just throughout the day. Usually she's happy as her arms and legs are both moving like crazy (you better watch out that you don't get punched). It's kinda funny because she doesn't realize what she's doing with her arms most of the time. In the last week, she's started to flail around more when she eats and she gets upset. Not sure that the failing and eating troubles are related? She doesn't always move like this while eating. Anyways, she's been a very fussy eater 75% of the time. Apparently my brother did this when he was a baby and my mom never got to the bottom of it. It resolved on its own after a couple months. When she was trying to get to the bottom of it, one pediatrician told her she was too anxious and needed to relax- basically blaming her. Ha, I would have some choice words if a pediatrician told me that!  I've learned that there's a lot of guesswork involved in parenting. Hopefully this phase will end soon.

In general Emma is a really good baby. I'm so thankful that Emma shows us her happy side too. I adore her smiles. I just can't get enough of them. She seems to be smiley after she wakes up, sometimes after she eats, or if we're talking to her. In the last week or so, Emma has also been cooing. It's so fun to have conversations with her! She really seems to like talking to us, especially when we make funny faces and noises.

Stats from her 2 month appt: weight 13lbs (88th percentile)
                                               length 24.25in (99th percentile)

 


Love those smiles!


Rubbing her head with baby oil to help her cradle cap. She loved the massage :-)

Getting ready for Match Day. She's excited too!

Steve's med school class photos.


 

Steffie was in town for a wedding. She came to meet Emma on Match Day. 
It was great having her there!
 


 

 

 

Love this photo of our family!
 



In her Bumbo.

St.Patty's Day

1 comment:

  1. What a cutie! Still looking so much like her daddy! So happy for y'all - what an exciting and busy next few years!! Can't wait to hang out when y'all get here!

    ReplyDelete